7.03.2005

the ghosts of canada day weekend past

dear friends,

i have been asked several times over the course of this weekend what i did for canada day. and, i feel a little guilty when i say "stayed in and watched the notebook on digital cable". but, in fairness i did go out in some fashion or another everyday last week since both dave and carla were in town. it was a party like january 2004. this is not to say that i haven't celebrated canada day properly in the past....

exhibit a: canada day 2004



canada day 2004 was actually spent at auschwitz which is certainly a unique way to appreciate your own place in history and place in nation. also that weekend i went riverboating on the border between poland and slovakia. got email from old friend indicating dramatic life change (a la walk in the snow), 365 days later still one of life's great mysteries.


exhibit b: canada day 2002


canada day 2002... road trip to america, specifically watertown, new york to shop at target and eat dinner at ponderosa. return to little yellow house for various illicit pursuits.

exhibit c: canada day 1998


canada day 1998 (7 years ago) was spent in ottawa, the first of a couple canada days i would spend there, but the only one spent there as a conclusion to an epic road trip called manhunt. manhunt may now be known as the urban game of hide and seek, but in 1998 it was a plot by five bored small-town girls to escape trenton and find some cute boys on a 8 city road trip, telling their parents they were touring ontario universities.

things in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003 are a bit fuzzy... maybe one of you can help me remember?

cam

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I was in Kingston for Canada day in 2001... I came to stay with you, we went to Wolfe Island, saw fireworks downtown... Does that ring a bell? I think maybe my sister was with us too but that may have been a different trip.

My memory officially sucks,
RB.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Ms. Cam said...

Very possible, even crossed my mind when I was writing this entry... but then I couldn't remember is that was May 2-4 or Tall Ships or whether Tall ships happened over Canada Day or over May 2-4. And, then I remember you coming up two summers. My memory is clearly going already.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home