6.17.2005

lightening bolts indicating newsworthiness!

dear friends,

in honour of father's day i have made the trek to ol' trenton, or as most of us who have escaped know it "the smelly armpit of the universe". i would like to state that i am not actually from trenton, as i live closer to the hamlets of stockdale and wooler. but alas, i digress. anyway, 51 songs on the ipod later i'm here.

my dad's great. i love him. but he is not exactly a man of words, indeed the gig-ster (for reasons i have not figured out all of my dad's childhood friends call him gig, which is not a known abbreviation of glenn. even my cousins call him uncle gig) is much more of a do-er. example one: while in england i mention that i might like for him to make me a tv cabinet, but we can talk about it when i get back. i get back to discover he has made it and a coffee table. however, the most hilarious example is what i will label example two: our phone conversations.

diligent daughter that i am, i call home every sunday. these calls generally last ten minutes. pressing business is addressed. he inquires about the weather. then i always ask if there is anything new there. he always answers not much. sometimes i prompt with questions, sometimes i let the fun end there. i had this conversation with him last sunday... so it was much to my suprise that when driving home from the train station my dad informed me that my grannie's house had been struck by lightening last saturday!

apparently, lightening strikes are no longer newsworthy. it happened around lunch time, my dad was visitng my gran (thank goodness) and it struck her tv arial, went down the arial, through the window, into the tv, and onto some metal in the china cabinet before exiting an outlet. there was also a small fire, which my dad stompted out. they did call the fire department (the three volunteers who live in the same town of 25 people as my grannie), but the "basement savers" as my dad calls them forgot to fill their truck with water, so they had to go back after they arrived on the scene.

so, not like an emergency worthy of an automatic update... but still it's not like lightening has ever struck a family member's house before.

geez,
cam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home