3.31.2005

i'm afraid of famous sociologists

dear friends,

two interesting pieces of mail have me a wee bit freaked. by interesting i of course mean sociologically interesting. first, i recieved my copy of the american sociological association's monthly newsletter "footnotes". it contained a list of the most cited american sociological review articles over the last 70 years. and second, i recieved my personalized princeton itenerary including times and places for meetings with various professors who have a particular interest in me. the fact that there are two people on my list (of five!) who are also on the list of most cited authors (two different articles, two different decades... prize! for anyone nerdy enough to know who)...

i am not sure why i am so nervous. for one, it is illogical... my favourite professor here gave me some great advice... she told me that i was the one interviewing them (since they can't take their offer back now... suckers!) and that if i didn't like them i could always just stay. she and chris both told me that one of the people on the list is just one of the niceset people in the history of ever, more a friend than a sociological genius. i have spoken with another on the phone and he did not sound like an android. and, i already know bob. for two, chris also promises that if it all becomes too much we can bail on optional things and go for drinks.

i think i am just so brain-dead as a result of log-linear assignments, annotated bibliography-ing, presentations, preparing for presentations, merging large panel data sets, worrying about getting everything done in three weeks and socially-awkward (last night i ordered dinner over the internet to avoid talking to a stranger) after living solo in the zen-icrm that i fear they will quite politely ask me something about my aspirations for next year, and i will begin to drool, twitch, stutter, shout obsenitites, or laugh hysterically for no-apparent reason.

maybe i spent too much time on that livejournal applyingtograd forum, i am becoming trez eeyore.
cam

1 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Cam said...

you win! my blog is totally becoming a source of honours and riches for you.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home